Meet Kim Cook
Kim Cook (okay, that’s me) is an RN and a Certified Health Education Specialist (CHES). I have a certification in LGBT Studies and also as a middle and high school health educator. Having raised three daughters into adulthood, I have survived the adolescent years – and you will, too! I use a straightforward approach, with a little humor, to help parents tackle the talk(s). You’ve got this – but I’m here to help!
My Mission: To help you start the conversation.
Helping parents help their kids
Parents have questions about talking to their children about sex and relationships:
- “How do I start the conversation?”
- “When do I start talking about sex?”
- “Is one conversation enough?”
- “Isn’t it best to wait until my child asks me a question?”
- “Aren’t the schools teaching sex ed?”
- “Where do I find accurate information I can share with my child?”
Young people also have questions about sex and relationships.
- “How do I deal with relationship pressure?” 9th grade boy.
- “How do you know you are ready for sex?” 10th grade female.
- “Is it weird to be scared of having sex?” 11th grade boy.
- “What is consent?” 12th grade female.
- “Why is sex bad?” 12th grade boy.
Talking to kids about sexuality in a sex-positive, nonjudgmental manner will keep lines of communication open and build trust between parent and child. Teen World Confidential gives parents the support, tools, and information needed to facilitate these conversations.
Don’t worry moms and dads – you’ve got this! Teen World Confidential is here to help.
Start the Conversation.
Praise for Teen World Confidential
- What a great tool for communicating with teens and all the challenges that come with those sensitive topics!!! Kim gives great ideas for opening conversations as well as valuable facts and smart ideas for keeping your children engaged and talking to you! I certainly wish I had this book in my arsenal when I was raising my kids!!! I can’t recommend this book enough!
- As my daughter started slipping away somewhere in her 12th year, I met Kim Cook and started reading what she had to say. In a world of uncertainty for our kids, Kim’s way of communicating in Teen World Confidential opened my eyes as a parent, to the “What” to discuss with our kids today and importantly the “How”. I didn’t know what I didn’t know. Through Kim’s insight, experience as both a mother and educator and her easy to digest quick read blog, I have found more doors opening in conversation with my daughter and have begun dialogue with my son on topics I never would have thought. Little by little, I see my daughter returning. I am so thankful to Kim Cook and Teen World Confidential. No parent should be without this resource, for the sake of our kids.
- TWC…factual, informative, always on top of the current health concerns… Kim Cook …eager to engage in even the most delicate issues and be a voice in the world of health!
- It’s like having a best friend to talk to over coffee. A fresh and honest new voice… this is not your mother’s sex ed manual.
- Teen sexual health can be a scary topic, but now it’s been made easier! This book has been researched and written by a woman who is passionate about the subject! She is a wife, a mom, a nurse and a certified health educator. Delve into the pages of this book to find ideas of how to guide your own teen through the often tumultuous and angst filled years of adolescence.
- Kim Cook has written a book that could not be more relevant, more illuminating, and more important, not only to parents, but to society as a whole.As she says in a voice that is both authoritative and humorous: ’Sexual health is not only about penises and vaginas, it encompasses so much more.’ Indeed. Teen World Confidential is an essential read that encompasses the very act of coming to terms with what is perhaps, the most powerful force on Earth, human sexuality.
- Kim’s passion for honest conversation between adults and young people about sex and health comes through loud and clear in her writing. TeenWorldConfidential inspires parents everywhere to keep the lines of communication open with their children, and to do it with openness and humor. I can’t recommend Kim’s book highly enough!
As Mentioned In
- 23 May, 2018 Adolescent Sexuality Advocates For Youth Communication Conversation Dads Health Education Health Teachers healthy relationships Let's Talk LGBTQ parenting Parents of AdolescentsLighten Up the Talk Podcast with Birds and Bees Podcast Sexuality and humor? Is that a thing? Sexuality and humor - what a combination! I hadRead more
- 05 April, 2018 adolescent health Adolescent Sexuality Health Education healthy relationships Parents of AdolescentsLoneliness and being alone are not the same. Loneliness and being alone are two separate concepts. Loneliness can be quite distressing. One may feel isolated, uncared for, despondent. It canRead more
- 27 March, 2018 adolescent health Adolescent Sexuality Conversation healthy relationships LGBTQ Parents of AdolescentsMovies can help inspire parent-child communication. Movies are highly entertaining. For two hours a viewer is transported to another place and inhabits another person’s world. A mini-vacation of sorts. Recently,Read more